Knitting Monkey

1.16.2006


This is what I am currently working on: a top-down raglan cardigan. I am using up my stash of woolease that I bought when I first started knitting about 9 years ago. I intended to make my husband (then boyfriend) a sweater and started four or five different times before finally making him the red gansey below. Now I have all the blue woolease left. This picture is of the right front panel that has a twining leaf cable motif. That blob in the center is my first leaf, nearly completed.

I really need to straighten up my knitting on this one. I have laddered down and reknit this section a couple of times since I read the chart wrong. More than once. :P The pattern for the cable is from "The Harmony Guide to Aran and Fair Isle Knitting" by Debra Mountford.

The pattern for the cardigan is basically: Using crochet cast-on, crochet a chain long enough to fit around my neck. Divide into five parts (2 for front, 2 for sleeves, 1 for back) and increase each part every other round. Knit until it's long enough. Join into tubes for sleeves. Knit those until they are long enough. Knit the body until it's long enough. Knit in the Twining Trees pattern on the back. Do some kind of edging. Add buttons and reinforce button band if necessary. Sew in ends. Wear. You can probably tell I hate swatching and like to figure out stitch number from crochet chains. :)

I like to knit all in one piece. The special property of knitting as a fabric is that it can be shaped as you are creating the fabric itself, so why not take advantage of it? Thus, I tried to figure out crochet steeking so I could knit this in a big tube an then cut up the front. Unfortunately, I think I did the steeking right, but woolease is not suitable for hand-steeking being largely acrylic. Or, I could just be doing the steeking wrong. The central parts of my swatches held really well, until I yanked on it really really good and then the ends at the hems popped out and the swatch began to unravel.

I decided I didn't want to risk it on a finished garment, so I am knitting back-in-forth. At least I have finally gotten relatively fast at continental purling. I can knit "backwards" too, but my purling is still faster. For clarification, I knit right handed in continental, with my yarn wrapped twice around my left index finger.Posted by Picasa

0 comment(s):

Post a comment

<< Home